Portrait Awards 2014
Please make sure you are using an updated version of Safari or Chrome
The majority of issues our users encounter are caused by using an old version of Safari. If you are using Chrome, it updates automatically. Firefox is OK, but recommend Chrome or Safari.
How do I enter?
First, you'll be prompted to join LensCulture for a free account to upload your files (or sign in if you have an existing LensCulture account). Then just follow the simple instructions to upload your images, and to provide all the proper information for each.
What are the prizes?
There are three cash prizes for the Portfolio Awards:
- Grand prize: $1,500
- 2nd prize: $500
- 3rd prize: $250
There are three cash prizes for the Single Image Awards:
- Grand prize: $1,000
- 2nd prize: $500
- 3rd prize: $250
Additional prizes for ALL CASH PRIZE WINNERS AND 25 FINALISTS:
Prominent worldwide exposure: All winning photos will be presented in feature articles in LensCulture and broadcast throughout our network to over 200,000 enthusiastic and influential media partners, photography professionals, experts, curators, collectors and photography lovers worldwide.
ALL Winners, Finalists and 100 other highly-rated photographers will win valuable invitation-only Portfolio Accounts on LensCulture, with the ability to upload and display additional projects, and to link to their own professional websites, galleries, agencies, schools, publishers and photo books. This offers invaluable long-term worldwide exposure via one of the most respected platforms for global contemporary photography.
What are the image specifications?
Upload jpegs or pngs that are a minimum of 1200 pixels and a maximum of 2,000 pixels on the longest side and less than 5MB is size each. The jury will review each of the photos on screen only. We cannot accept photos as prints or CDs in the mail.
How many photos can I submit, and what are the fees?
For the Portfolio Award, you should submit a group of 5 images for an entry fee of $55. You may submit more than 5 images for an additional fee of $5 per additional image.
For the Single Image Award, you should submit one great image, for an entry fee of $35. You may submit more than one single image for an additional fee of $5 per additional image. There is no limit to the number of images that can be submitted at one time.
What forms of payment do you accept?
U.S. users can pay with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, Discover, and Diners Club. All other users can pay with Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. You can also use Paypal, please send the total fee to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will receive a notification from PayPal then submit your entry.
Can I replace or re-arrange my photos after I've submitted them?
You cannot replace or remove images but you can rearrange them as well as edit the photo titles, description, and your submission statement.
How many times can I enter?
You can submit as many times as you like (in both categories), assuming you have lots of great images, and you can afford to pay the entry fees for all of them. We suggest, however, that you edit your photos wisely, and send us only your very best.
I just started taking photos. Do I have a chance of winning?
Of course! We welcome applications from professionals, semi-professionals, amateurs and total beginners. We believe there is an artist in each of us. And we are interested in all kinds of photography — from sophisticated to quirky to wildly experimental to hard-edged realism.
If I have more questions, how do I contact you?
For technical questions related to uploading your photos, sizes, entry forms and credit card payments, use the support button at the upper right of the Awards page.
If you can't find the answers to your other questions here or at the upload site, you can email us at email@example.com.
When are the prizes awarded, and when do the winners get featured in LensCulture?
The judging will be completed by March 31, 2014, and the winners will be announced shortly thereafter.
Can I get a refund?
No. Entry fees are non-refundable.
This all sounds too easy. Where’s the fine print?
It really is that easy! You can find the competition rules link next to this FAQ link. Here are some, but not all, of the basic rules that you agree to:
By submitting these photographs to LensCulture, I authorize that these are original works of art that I personally created.
I am releasing LensCulture and its agents, principals, employees or contractors from any liability regarding the display of work that I have submitted to them, including any liability for redisplay by individuals making copies of the display made by LensCulture.
By agreeing to this release, I authorize that I am 18 years of age or older.
I hereby authorize LensCulture to display, print, and distribute in any manner any photographs that I have entered in this competition to conduct and promote the LensCulture's competitions. Each photographer retains copyright of his or her images, and proper credit lines will be attributed to each photographer when used in any publicity of LensCulture.
Helpful Tips & Insights from Jim Casper, our editor & publisher:
- The judges are looking for surprising "new" talent as well as great work from established photographers. Everyone has a chance to win — even if you’ve never won an award before.
- Every great picture tells a story and should be able to stand on it’s own, but viewers are often eager to know a little bit more about what the photo is about. So a simple title or caption, or a few words, can make a great photo really come to life in someone’s imagination.
- If you’ve created a series of portraits, think of them as a story. Choose a very strong image to start off the series, and make a powerful first impression.
- Every image (in a portfolio submission) should contribute something fresh and new to the series and help add character to the submission. A strong submission can be as few as 5 images, or as many as 10 or 15 or more.
- Write your project statement and captions to work well with the sequencing of your images — as I’ve said, viewers love to know the stories and background context for compelling images. Don’t get too wordy — the images should come first, always — but your words can add depth to a story once the viewer’s curiosity has been grabbed.
- At LensCulture, we discover and publish many new photographers through our competitions. In addition to the six winners and 25 finalists, a hundred or more of the top-rated photographers will be invited to create their own free LensCulture Portfolio Accounts — so there are lots of valuable, long-lasting benefits for talented photographers.
- Every one of our notable judges is also looking for new discoveries, too, so just by entering you increase your chances of your photography being featured at an international photo festival, in a gallery, as part of a group show in a museum, or in an global publication. Award competitions offer benefits to many more people than just those who win the top honors.
- Finally, just by entering the LensCulture Portrait Awards, you have an good chance of gaining significant worldwide exposure to our international network of photography lovers. We’ve been featuring selected work from submissions every day on our website and Facebook — seen by over 100,000 people daily.