Hugo Bes (1971) is a Dutch travel / documentary photographer based in Amsterdam. He decided to become a photographer during a 4 months journey in south east Asia which was the catalyst that sparked his passion for photography. Back in the Netherlands he graduated at the Fotovakschool specializing in reportage and portrait photography. After assisting some of the Dutch leading advertising / fashion photographers, Hugo started taking on editorial and advertising commissions of his own.
In his photography Hugo is focusing on contemporary issues with people as main topic. “Visualizing a subject in several layers and trying to find different angles to tell a story is for me the biggest challenge in photography today”. Hugo’s latest project is a story about immigrants in the Dunkirk refugee center.
- Commended award - Travel photographer of the year 2016.
- Photo essay - Silver award - Tokyo international photo awards 2016.
- Category award - Urban photographer of the year 2012.
- Finalist - Travel photographer of the year 2011.
- Category award - Urban photographer of the year 2010.
- 1st prize portrait series - Zilveren camera 2009.
- Finalist - Travel photographer of the year 2009.