Location:Brighton, United Kingdom
Gallery Representation:Flowers Gallery, LondonRobert Morat Galerie, HamburgKLOMPCHING Gallery, New YorkMC2 Gallery, MilanGalerie Heinzer Reszler, Lausanne
Agencies:POC / www.pocproject.com
Schools Attended:University of SheffieldNational Council for the Training of Journalists
About Simon Roberts
Featured on LensCulture
- Today, everything and anything can prompt somebody to take a picture, to capture a fleeting memory, to record an event (whether potentially historic or totally mundane) — here is one serious photographer’s investigation into this global phenomenon.
- Photographed at heritage sites across the English nation, this series reflects upon how the countryside has been modelled and managed for the purposes of leisure, and in turn, how our sense of belonging is determined by a connection to place.
- Contemporary British seascapes and a fascinating photographic record of the country’s remaining pleasure piers, an homage to these monuments of Victorian engineering and eccentricity.
- Simon Roberts travelled far and wide throughout his native England to capture contemporary photographs of his fellow countrymen and fabled landscapes. The results are poetic, stunningly beautiful, and sometimes quite humorous.
- British photographer Simon Roberts chooses to embark on long-term, in-depth visual studies of people and the places they live. He describes his work as socio-documentary photography, which when viewed as a whole, can be seen as a rich, subjective source of visual anthropology of contemporary life.
- A twelve month journey across the face of Russia in 2004-2005 delivers unexpectedly vibrant images and a compelling first person report. See some of the photographs, listen to an audio interview with the author/photographer, Simon Roberts, and then buy the book.
Simon Roberts's Projects on LensCulture