series ARROZ CON MANGO - THE NEW MEN
Havana 2016, in a collectivetaxi:
Carlos a random passenger is concerned: "Everyday more and more of your people are in the streets!"
- "How do you call someone who is neither woman nor man?" His wife is clueless too: "Transvestite, Transsexual, queer, pan gender, third sex?!"
- "I am! That's all! No theory! No sciences! No discourses! No label! Case closed!" responds Reinier and keeps painting his lips.
- "Oye, tremendo arroz con mango!"* replied Carlos, "where is this supposed to end? What the hell are you?"
- "The new man!"** Reinier laughs loud while fixing his wig: "Viva la revolucion, companeros!" he replies and jumps out of the car.
(*the Cuban slang "rice with mango" is a typical expression for a sticky situation,something scandalous or a big mess
**Ambiguous allusion to the central aim of the socialist revolution:The creation of THE NEW MEN)
color photos KIRSTIN SCHMITT
black and white photos JUAN ARISTIDES OATMENDIZ
2 artist project / candid / Cuba / ongoing project since 2016 / awarded as work in progress / all rights by Kirstin Schmitt & Juan Aristides Otamendiz
______AWARDS for some color photograhys of the series:
* KOLGA AWARD 2017 / nominated / GEORGIA
* IPA - 1st Prize Winner / professional / Social Cause Category / 2016, USA
* PX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris 2016 / professional / People's Choice: Category Winner / category: Press / FRANCE
* PX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris 2016 / professional / People's Choice: 1st place / category: Press, Feature Story / FRANCE
* PX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris 2016 / professional / People's Choice: 2nd place / category: Press, Political / FRANCE
* Honorable mention, professional competitionPX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris 2016, for the series ARROZ CON MANGO - THE NEW MEN