ARROZ CON MANGO - EL HOMBRE NUEVO
Havana, in a collectivetaxi:
Carlos a random passenger is concerned: "Everyday more and more of your people are in the streets!"
- "How do you call someone who is neither woman nor man?" His wife is clueless too: "Transvestite, Transsexual, queer, pan gender, third sex?!"
- "I am! That's all! No theory! No sciences! No discourses! No label! Case closed!" responds Reinier and keeps painting his lips.
- "Oye, tremendo arroz con mango!"* replied Carlos, "where is this supposed to end? What the hell are you?"
- "The new man!"** Reinier laughs loud while fixing his wig: "Viva la revolucion, companeros!" he replies and jumps out of the car.
(*the Cuban slang "rice with mango" is a typical expression for a sticky situation,something scandalous or a big mess
**Ambiguous allusion to the central aim of the socialist revolution:The creation of THE NEW MEN)
2 artist project / candid / fine art documentary photography / La Habana, Cuba / ongoing project since 2016 / awarded and exhibited as work in progress / color photos by Kirstin Schmitt & back and white photos by Juan Aristides Otamendiz
_______________AWARDS for the series ARROZ CON MANGO - EL HOMBRE NUEVO
* IPA 2016 - International Photography Awards/ 1st place / professional / category Event: social cause / USA
* KOLGA PHOTO AWARD 2017 / shortlisted / Tbilisi History Museum / GEORGIA
* ATHEN PHOTO FESTIVAL 2017 / shortlisted / GREECE
* PX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris 2016 / professional / People's Choice: Category Winner / category: Press / FRANCE
* PX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris 2016 / professional / People's Choice: 1st place / category: Press, Feature Story / FRANCE
* THE FAMILY OF MEN /IPA-International Photography Awards 2016 /professional /Honorable mention in 2 categories / USA