ZAYIN
Project info

Poetically named La Cité de la Muette ("The Silent City") at its creation for its perceived peaceful ideals, the Drancy internment camp - originally conceived as a striking, modernist urban community - was an assembly and detention place for confining Jews and other people labeled as "undesirable" who were later deported to be exterminated during the German military administration of Occupied France during World War II.
It was located in Drancy, a northeastern suburb of Paris, France.

Between 22 June 1942 and 31 July 1944, during its use as an internment camp, 67.400 French, Polish, and German nationals were deported from the camp in 64 rail transports, which included 6.000 children.

Only 1.542 remained alive at the camp when Allied Forces liberated it on 17 August 1944.