San Francisco de Asis Mission Church
A photography study of San Francisco de Asis Mission Church in Taos, New Mexico, USA.
The mission at Ranchos de Taos was established in the early 18th century. Construction on this church began around 1772 and was completed in 1815 by Franciscan Fathers; its patron is Saint Francis of Assisi. It was the center of the fortified plaza, which provided for protection against Comanche attackers. The church has undergone several instances of restoration, including in 1967, when all of the ceiling vigas and doors were replaced with reproductions.
The church has inspired some of the greatest number of depictions of any building in the United States. It was the subject of several paintings by Georgia O'Keeffe, and photographs by Ansel Adams, Paul Strand and Ned Scott. Georgia O'Keeffe described it as "one of the most beautiful buildings left in the United States by the early Spaniards." The Taos Chamber of Commerce states that the building is "one of the most photographed and painted churches in the world".
The church was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970. It is also designated as a World Heritage church.