About Roger Ballen
Featured on LensCulture
- In his latest offering, the unnerving universe of Roger Ballen’s photographs grows another dark layer through the words of Italian poet Gabriele Tinti.
- LensCulture spent a morning following Ballen around a massive, immersive installation he created at Arles this summer—explore the artist’s labyrinthine unconscious (and your own) through this video interview.
- Continuing its bold reinvention, the photography world’s flagship festival pushes further into new territory this year, with a wide range of inspiring exhibitions and events—discover our editors’ highlights from the program.
- A new reprint of this classic photobook still has the power to make the viewer feel disturbed, uneasy, and not quite sure what to make of the bizarre staged scenes pictured in its pages — see for yourself!
- Despite a lifelong fascination with photography, Roger Ballen’s career and fame didn’t take off until he was 50 years old. He tells his story in this interview.
- Welcome to the Asylum — the latest surreal photographic compositions by the American master of psychologically disturbing, multi-layered complex imagery. 20 new photos in a slideshow, plus a “making-of” video.
- In this articulate 10-minute video interview, photographer Roger Ballen provides insight into his unique approach to image-making, psychology in art, and more. Enjoy!
- The latest book from South African photographer Roger Ballen is both beautiful and disturbing. In an exclusive audio interview, Ballen talks about this new work.
- Beautiful, surreal and disturbing, the artwork of Roger Ballen has attracted vocal criticism — positive and negative — since the early 1990s. In an exclusive audio interview with LensCulture, Ballen talks at length about his photography. Listen to the interview while looking at 25 recent photographs.
Roger Ballen's Projects on LensCulture
Roger Ballen's Books
Phaidon Press, April 20, 2015
Thames & Hudson, April 22, 2014
Prestel USA, June 28, 2013
Protea Boekhuis, March 30, 2012
Kerber, February 28, 2011
Reflex, January 11, 2011
Phaidon Press, March 29, 2009
Phaidon Press, February 01, 2006
Phaidon Press, March 26, 2001
St Martins Pr, June 1996