Faculty of Languages, History and Geography, Ankara University
About Tahir Ün
Tahir Ün was born in Turkey. He holds a BA degree from Language and History-Geography Faculty of Ankara University, where he studied History of European Arts.
His photographs are published in many magazines as “Foto” Magazine by Revista Foto S. L. , Madrid, Spain, “Zoom International” Magazine by Progreso Fotografico Editrice, Italy and “Foto Kino Magazine tillaeg International Photography” by Konkordia Kvissel, Denmark since 1983 and accepted some collections as Polaroid, Istanbul Modern Museum, Ransom Center Photography, State Museum of Majdenek, Rhizome Artbase, etc.
Tahir Ün published three books are titled “Imagined Views/Moments of Revulsion” Photographs in 1990 and “The Poetic Introduction of Representation of the Hidden Photograph” Poems in 1995 and “Xinjiang : My Ancestral Land” photographs in 2012. Also, his articles about image theory are published in Turkish art magazines since 2000. His works have been displayed in numerous events including 24 one-man exhibitions.
He received some photo and video awards and distinctions are below:
• SCOPIO International Photography Contest, Honorable Mention for “Xinjiang : Re-Construction”, (2015), Portugal.
• Facade Videoart Festival, “THE GAME” is selected between TOP 10 Awards, (2014), Bulgaria.
• FOTONIC Photo Festival, finalist of Evening Screenings Awards with 2 projects “Xinjiang:Re-Construction” and “The Shift in Coal Mine”, (2014), Slovenia.
• Kolga Award, “Xinjiang:Re-construction” is shortlisted in the category: Conceptual Series (2014), Georgia.
• Kolga Award, “China Portraits: Kirghiz Girl” is shortlisted in the category: One-shots (2014), Georgia.
• Espy Photography Award, “Xinjiang:Re-construction” is shortlisted (2014), Great Britain.
• IPA Awards, “One Shot: One World”, honorable mention for “Architectural Conflict in Kashgar”, (2014) Los Angeles.
• PAA (Photo Annual Awards), honorable mention for “China Portraits” (2013), Czech Republic.
• FotoVisura Grant, honorable mention for “Nakhchivan” (2013), U.S.A.
• Patras Independent Film & Video Festival, The Best VideoArt Prize for “Pose” (2012), Greece.
• Krakow SnapFilm Festival, The 2nd. Prize for “Facial Perception” in category: Experimental (2012), Poland.
• Fonland Festival, The Best Digital Image Prize for “Nihility or Identity” (2011), Portugal.
• Selected as “2000 Years’ Artist” by Turkish Official TV (TRT),ANKARA.
• AFAD and Seyhan Municipality, The Sahin Kaygun Prize for “the best Turkish Photographer” (1993), Turkey.
• Photo Awards of The Ministry of Culture, The First Prize for “On the Way” in the category: Black and White (1992), Turkey.
• Nasreddin Hodja International Photo Competition, 2nd. prize, (1988), Turkey.
He has been working periodically at Xinjiang (Uighur) Autonomous Region of China, Balkans, Azerbaijan and Turkey as a freelance photographer.
Tahir Ün is currently active also in new media arts and an instructor in the Communication Faculty of Yasar University at Izmir.