Location:San Francisco, CA, United States
Gallery Representation:Yancey Richardson Gallery, NYIvorypress Gallery, MadridHaines Gallery, San Francisco, CA
Agencies:Institute for Artist Management
Schools Attended:Princeton UniversityCalifornia College of the Arts
About David Maisel
Featured on LensCulture
- “Photography, for me, is a way to see the unseeable and to capture the unimaginable”—an extended conversation with one of the great contemporary landscape artists dealing with the American West, David Maisel.
- DON’T MISS OUT: A fresh and selective early preview of just a fraction of the wide ranging array of photography that will be on display (and for sale) at Photo London, May 19-22, 2016.
- David Maisel creates highly detailed aerial photographs of the densely packed sprawl of Los Angeles. Is it any wonder that it looks alien and uninviting?
- David Maisel re-photographed x-rays of art objects from antiquity. Since x-rays map both the inner and outer surfaces of a subject, these mysterious images offer yet another dimension with which to appreciate ancient objects and the artists who made them — hinting at the continuous presence of the past contained within all things.
- A beautiful new over-sized book from David Maisel documents the disquieting beauty of final remains in an old insane asylum.
- David Maisel has been documenting environmentally impacted landscapes, as seen from the air, for more than 20 years. The large-format unaltered photographs reveal worlds that are alien, surreal, terrifying and beautiful.
David Maisel's Projects on LensCulture
David Maisel's Books